Major Assignment #3. Draft 2

Infographic.

Article.

Video.

Rationale.

Now it’s time to talk about why I picked these 3 genres to deliver my information. Giving the purpose of it and to what audience it is intended to. Well for the infographic my purpose was to give some information that people may find interesting about video games, that’s why I included graphs about public opinion and some data that complements a research. The infographic was a good way to reach my audience (gamers & parents) of any age because an image worth more than a thousand words, so they may find this information attractive and interesting. That why I used more images than words but where an explanation was needed I put it there. All the information present in those graphs may be useful for some audience or another because it talks about positive and negative aspects as well as the opinion of regular people.

And the reasons why I decided to make a video is because for young people it’s more interesting find the information and a video rather than a newspaper/magazine. Like I said earlier talking about that my audience include gamers I think that a video is a good way to approach that audience. Also the use of color and images can make them to remember the information better than just having a lot of text. In the video I put some information about how video games can be something bad for them but I also include some benefits of them so they do not just think that video games are bad, but also that it is good to have some moderation. So this information is to make them think about if they are doing the right thing or it is time to do a change in their way of living.

And finally the reasons why I picked an article as my last genre to do this assignment are the fact that many people specially adults still using paper to get their information or knowledge about something. So my purpose with the article was let the parents/guardians of gamer about the effect that video games have in their children in a way that is familiar to them. But also let them know that video games are not also something good, so they do not start to blaming video games every time their children suffer from a problem, and reflect on whether the cause of the problem could be them.

Reflection

Doing this assignment was not an easy task not because of the sources that I was going to use. It was difficult because I didn’t know how to put the information in 3 different genres. But thanks to the information given in class and some others thing that I found on the Internet help me with this assignment.

So the first thing I did was focus on Info-graphic using that tools that we talk about during class. So for the info graphic I started to look for graphs that matches some of the information that I found. Because one of the sources talks about a decrease in violence when a new game is release I tried to find some information or a graph in Statista but I could not find anything, so I used google and I found information about it as well as a graph. Then I tried to find anything else about the topic in Statista but I did not find anything so finally I just used google but I made sure that was a website with information that can be reliable. It was not easy but I think I found some interesting data that match with my topic and some information about my sources. And I put all the information together using Canvas the website that we talk about in class.

While for the process of doing the article which I personally think that that was the less difficult because I just needed to know how to organize my information in a way that the reader may find interesting. So it was pretty much just pick the right information from my sources and use an interesting way to my audience. To do this assignment I read an article about how to write a newspaper article but finally I decided to do something more like a magazine article, but the information from that article was useful to have an idea about how to write in a formal way.

And finally the video that was the hardest one for me because I decided to used images on it and I was not sure of which ones to include on my video, so I spend some time picking different images that I think would be great with the information or at least make sense. So the problem or challenge was how to add the sound to the video because I did not want a video just with the images, I even considered put some music on the video but I did not do that at the end. Once I had all the things that I need I started to put them all together in a way that would be easy to understand the information that I am giving. When I finished the video I decided to upload it at the website that I know it’s the most popular video website, that’s YouTube. One resource that help me with that is called “6 Psychology-Backed Hacks for Making Engaging Videos” by Clifford Chi. This source gave me some tips about how to make my video because I had never done one before.

Work Cited.

*Bonus, James Alex, et al. “The Influence of Violent Video Game Enjoyment on Hostile Attributions.” Computers in Human Behavior, vol. 52, Nov. 2015, pp. 472–483. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1016/j.chb.2015.05.044.

*Coyne, Sarah M., et al. “Gaming in the Game of Love: Effects of Video Games on Conflict in Couples.” Family Relations, vol. 61, no. 3, July 2012, pp. 388–396. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1111/j.1741-3729.2012.00712.x.

*Chi, Clifford. “6 Psychology-Backed Hacks for Making Engaging Videos.” HubSpot Blog, HubSpot, 12 July 2019, blog.hubspot.com/marketing/psychology-hacks-for-making-engaging-videos.

* Craig, Anne Pyburn. “How to Submit a Newspaper Article.” Pen and the Pad, Pen and the Pad, 10 Jan. 2019, penandthepad.com/submit-newspaper-article-7803828.html.

*Ferguson, Christopher J. “The Influence of Television and Video Game Use on Attention and School Problems: A Multivariate Analysis with Other Risk Factors Controlled.” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 45, no. 6, June 2011, pp. 808–813. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1016/j.jpsychires.2010.11.010.

*Singh, Pankaj, et al. “Effect of Video and Mobile Games on Children’s Behavior.” Indian Journal of Health & Wellbeing, vol. 7, no. 5, May 2016, pp. 488–492. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=115683935&site=ehost-live&scope=site.

Post Write.

*Did this assignment remind you of any writing that you’ve done previously?  Please describe that work.

This assignment was not like something I had done before.

*What was new about this assignment?  Please be precise.

The thing that make this assignment new for me is because I was never asked to present 3 different genres of the same topic. But even when at the beginning It was like an impossible task the end was not that bad.

*What kinds of knowledge/writing skills did you draw on to produce this draft?  Please begin to use some of the key terms that have begun to form the basis of your theory of writing.  For example,  did you draw upon your understanding of audience awareness or genre?  How so?

In order to do this assignment I had to read some examples about different genres to know what things identify a genre and make it different from others. Also I got to use the knowledge about how to do the different compositions some of the information to do them I got it from school and other from my own research.

*When drafting and revising, what choices did you make? Please explain.

When I started the process to write and do each one of the compositions I needed to know my audience to do this that they find interesting. So to write and do all of this I had to pick information from the sources that highlight important details about my topic. Also organize the information to make them look good for my spectator.

Questions for the reader:

-What genre did you find more interesting and why?

-Do you think I picked the right genres or there’s others that would fit better with my information?

One thought on “Major Assignment #3. Draft 2”

1. Hi Willian:
    Infographic:
    You have provided useful data on your question. Btw, your title seems to be a sentence saying that video games have significant influence. Is that your intention?
    I see some good visual appeal here.
    But please cite source in text–at the point of borrowing. And please edit for typos/grammar.

Article:
    Do you have a title for your magazine?
    This reads fairly well, and you have provided support for claims. I will see in your rationale who might be your intended audience. I’m guessing, parents of gamers.

Video:
    I do see some repetition of data from your earlier genres.
    Still–I thought the video was engaging and informative. I do notice significant text that passes along too quickly to be read. You may want to reduce the quotations (taking care to indicate that you’ve altered the original).

Rationale:
    You do a pretty good job here. You identify your intended audience and offer reasons for choosing the genres (tying audience and genre thoughtfully.

Reflection:
    This is also helpful. You provide a good glimpse into your composing (and planning) process for putting these videos together. Might you provide even more detail as to the steps you too? I think so. Still–I like what I see so far.

Works Cited:
    Nicely done. You have the required number of sources, and you present them in the proper format.