Reflection on My “Composition in Three Genres.”

Short Assignment #11.

Well now that I finished with major assignment 3 it’s time to do a reflection. To begin with this I want to make clear what my intended audience was and the problems I faced to reach them. My intended audience with this assignment was gamer and their parents/guardians and the problems that I found was a language barrier and a culture barrier, because I didn’t know if I could say the things in the same way I would say them in my own language and they would make sense in English. Another difficulty was that for this assignment I needed to think that other people would read this and not just my teacher, but after reading a bit about how to do a good job communicating with adults and kids I think I did a decent job. 

Now talking about the difference between the process of doing major assignment 2 and major assignment 3. Well I may say that the main difference in the process was that for my research essay I just needed to write a paper which is something I am familiar with, but with my components I had to use 3 different genres to communicate the same idea and that’s something I have never done before. So I had to understand what the genre is supposed to have, then pick the information from my sources and finally put them together in a way that may be interesting for people to read or watch.

As you know by now, I had to use 3 different genres so let me tell why I picked the genres that I used. Starting with the infographic I am going to say that there was not a reason to choose this genre but it was mandatory to have one for the assignment, and I think it works well catching the interest of people because it presents the information in an easy way to understand which is images. And the reason why I have  decided to include an article is because I chose this genre thinking about one part of my audience and that’s the adults, since it is well known that adults prefer to read something written on paper rather than reading something on the internet. And finally the reason why I decided to make a video was to reach the young part of my audience because unlike their parents/guardians they don’t read too much things written on paper, they prefer electronic ways to get their information about something.

And now to finish this post, let’s talk about my purpose with this task.  My purpose with each of my genres was to inform about the effect or influence that video games have on ourselves.  And I think genres do very well their purpose of reaching my audience regardless of their age.

One thought on “Reflection on My “Composition in Three Genres.””

1. Hi Willian:
    This is a thoughtful reflection of your work on Major Assignment #3. I especially value your thoughts on choosing genres to match particular audiences. That’s an important breakthrough.