What is good writing?

Short assignment #1

Hello readers and welcome to my blog,my name is Willian Castillo I like to describe myself as a reader, since I enjoy the time that I spend reading books but the ones that are my favorites are the Mystery and Horror books.A piece of writing that I read in High School and caught my attention is called “The road not Taken” by Robert Frost,what I like about it is that for me it talks about all the decisions that we make and we wonder what would happen if we pick the other one.In my own opinion what makes a piece of writing interesting is:1- The way the writer begin the composition,2-The final message can be interpreted in various ways,3-The structure is well developed and not just random information,4-Focuses on the main message,5-It is not meant just to be commercial.

While I was reading Billy Collins’ commencement address, there were two part that I found interesting the first one is  *When your time is over, you will be remembered for what you did, not for what you never got around to doing.I found this as great advice since we are always thinking about what we can do instead of actually doing something,so if we want to make a change or impact because that is  what matters your actions,so you  just need to do want you want and not overwhelm yourself with a lots of things all at once.The second thing is *One final wish: Salvador Dali once said that “Every morning when I waken, I experience a supreme pleasure: that of being Salvador Dali.” May you graduates waken every morning to experience the supreme pleasure of being yourselves.I like this because is saying that you should be proud of who you are and what you do every day.In my own criteria this text is successful because it follows my points and knows how to have the reader focus on the text.Base on this text I do not want to change my key terms,because I use them to determine how good this text is and it works pretty good.

One thought on “What is good writing?”

1. Hi Willian:
    This is a helpful response. Thanks for the reference to the Frost poem–perhaps you might have quoted a favorite line from the poem? I do like your list of key terms–very useful.
    As to your comments on Collins, might you say something not just about the message but how Collins gets his message across? For example, does he use humor?